Deconstructed Pretzel Salad -
Pretzel Mix:
1/2 C Butter (melted)
1/2 C Sugar
1 1/2 C pretzels (crushed)
Mix together and spread on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for five to six minutes. Beyond this time they burn quickly. Cool and scrape off cookie sheet and break apart.
* I double this part because I like to put extra in my serving and have leftovers to snack on.
Filling:
8 oz. Cream Cheese
1/2 C Sugar
1 large can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 large container of Cool Whip
Mix cream cheese and sugar with mixer until smooth. Fold in pineapple and Cool Whip.
Garnish with mandarins oranges and maraschino cherries, if desired.
* I always fold the oranges in with the pineapple, and sometimes the cherries too.
Traditionally you fold the pretzels into the filling last, right before serving. Otherwise they go soggy. But I've found it best to sprinkle and fold on an individual basis. That way each person can put as much or as little pretzels as they want and they never go soggy! We also didn't use the pineapple or the oranges, instead we had strawberries and blueberries. Any fruit will work.